These are not your typical Rice Krispie Treats. These are grown-up treats (obviously, they have bourbon in them). Besides that, they’re gooey and full of flavor with brown butter, vanilla, nutmeg, and sea salt. And you get all of that with the same effort as the childhood favorite.
My entire life I thought I hated rice krispie treats. I never understood why. I love Rice Krispies, I love marshmallows. But together, not at all. Anytime someone made them, it just tasted like sweet. And, they were usually kinda dry. Then one day somebody mentioned adding flavors. That prompted me to find my own little tweak. First with the flavor. Then with the texture. I wanted them to taste like something other than sugar and I wanted them gooey. This recipe gives me both of those.
My biggest tip for making rice krispie treats… oil EVERYTHING. Melted marshmallows are notoriously sticky. Also, I use parchment paper in the pan for easy release. There’s no baking, just cooking enough to fully melt the marshmallows. Other than that, making them is super easy. Once you have a good recipe, you can throw anything in for variety. They’re a nice quick little anytime snack.
Vanilla Bourbon Rice Krispie Treats
- 1½ c butter
- 14 c mini marshmallows (2 bags of 10 oz)
- ⅓ c bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 12 c Rice Krispies (12 oz box)
- Prepare your pan with parchment paper, butter, or oil.
- Brown your butter:Add butter to a large pot and place over medium heat. The butter will begin to crackle, and start to foam. Whisk constantly during at this point. After a couple of minutes, the butter will begin turn a golden amber color on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Once the butter browns add 10 cups (or 1½ bags) of the marshmallows to the pot. Stir the butter and marshmallows until the marshmallows are fully melted. This takes about 5 minutes (but can vary depending on you marshmallows).
- Add bourbon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Let the mixture come to a slow boil. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies and coat thoroughly.
- Add remaining marshmallows. They should melt partially from the heat of the mixture. But still leave a few gooey chunks.
- Pour rice krispie mixture into you prepared pan.
- Let your Rice Krispie Treats stand for a least an hour to fully cool and set up.Enjoy!